17 Jan 2012

Seed ★★★☆☆



Review of 'Seed' which can be found here or at Short of the Week.

Length: 11:42
Directed by Ben Richardson and Daniel Bird
Genre: Animation
Date: 2011
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Logline: An egg and an apple set roots and build transmission stations which drive a radio nuts.

If the logline hasn't captured your imagination, I don't know what will. I've purposely not read up on these two guys as I'm trying to figure it out myself. Though I don't think that vodka jelly I had for breakfast is going to help on this one.

I initially came across this while browsing the short of the week website and came across 'epic' as a category in their genre list. An epic short intrigued me. This film certainly centers on grand themes. It feels very political and like they're talking power hungry super states (China or Russia?) and control over the every man's media? Its symbolism heavy to say the least. Freud would have had a field day on this one. Whatever the filmmakers are trying to say, this is food for thought, literally.

Plot wise, it all gets a bit fucked up. as you can imagine. WARNING - Plot spoilers: The weird crow head thing and the weird crow claw thing both try to out do each other and build larger, oppressive transmitters. The poor little radio can't make its mind up which tune it likes best. The supermarket/lift jingle or the oriental cartoon music? It blows up out of frustration. Its components then serve as seeds to impregnate the now robust transmitters. They shoot their offspring at each other and kind of end up how it all started and it all seems ready to repeat in an endless nightmare.

Still with me? It's all incredibly sinister. At least the soundtrack was able to point me in the right direction as to what I was supposed to be feeling. The track is very professional, complexly layered and engaging. As was the cinematography and camera work. I had some semblance that this was produced by competent and talented individuals. Possibly on drugs, who knows?

This was a toughy to score, so why the average mark? Is it a film that I enjoyed? No. Do I ever want to see it again? Not really. Would I tell my friends about it and insist they watch it? Nope. Did it creep me out? Most definitely. Those are all personal reasons and shouldn't detract from the animation skill, team time and effort or warped storytelling. Those things are all valid reasons why you should like this film. It comes down to a matter of taste. So this film is recommended if you have a spare eleven minutes and want to disturb yourself. Not recommended if you want to keep your breakfast down or are contemplating an egg roll.

Best Bit: The grand cinematic soundtrack. This piece certainly interested me more through audio than by visual.

Worst Bit: Erm, the eyes, the awful veiny sausage arms, the vagina windows plus all the icky sound effects.

Final thought: Who thinks this stuff up? Why, please tell me why?

Read a condensed review of this film on Twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment